Mindfulness Retreat: Integrating Strategies from EMDR, Body Awareness and The Presence Process
This is a retreat on using Mindfulness to teach Mindfulness to Licensed Mental Health professionals to use in their clinical practice. While this retreat is open to all therapists, we will be using and teaching techniques from Eye-movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to help enhance the process. Non-EMDR trained therapists won’t be learning how to use eye-movements but will be taught ancillary techniques to use with others and on themselves.
- Information about room and board, including your room reservations, meals and payment is done directly with Ghost Ranch. Call (505) 685-4333 ext 4155 for Emily or ext 4156 for Gina and ask for the “CompassionWorks Mindfulness Training” or “EMDR Mindfulness Training” to find out more and to make your reservations.
- Register with CompassionWorks for your tuition. It makes sense to reserve your spot at Ghost Ranch prior to paying for tuition.
Location: Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, NM map
Dates: Sunday, July 28 – Friday, Aug 2, 2019
The Early Bird Deadline ends June 26th. Also, after that time, rooms reserved for the event will be released back to Ghost Ranch for use by other groups and the general public.
Presenters: Jose Carbajal, Ph.D., LCSW, & Jordan Shafer, MC, LPC
Jose is a licensed clinical social worker. He served in the U.S. Army; after his military service, Jose attended Baylor University, where he received his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in social work, and a master’s degree in theological studies. He completed his Ph.D. in Social Work at the University of Texas at Arlington. Jose has several published articles, a book chapter published, and he has conducted many professional presentations. Jose’s research focus is on the interventions clinicians use to treat trauma, neuroscience and social work practice, faith, and trauma, and social disparity. Jose has over 10 years of clinical experience; his clinical specialties are trauma, sexual abuse recovery, domestic violence, substance abuse, and interpersonal relationship issues. Dr. Carbajal is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant.
Jordan is a licensed professional counselor and EMDR Trainer and Consultant.
Mr. Shafer is a student of Advaita Vedanta and has hosted workshops for Michael Brown, author of The Presence Process. He has also attended several workshops with teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, John Welwood, and Pamela Wilson where he studied Presence and Mindfulness.
Intended Audience: The retreat is for all Mental Health Professionals (EMDR trained and non-EMDR trained) who want to learn about Mindfulness, EMDR and Body Awareness and to use it with their clients in their clinical practice. You do not need to be trained in EMDR to attend this workshop but you will come away from it knowing more about it – when to refer clients, how to use it in your own experience or possibly decide to become an EMDR trained therapist, yourself.
Non-workshop attending partners: Partners of registered workshop attendees are to encouraged to attend the retreat, as well. They will be welcome to join in the meditations and on all group activities.
Days and Times: This is a week long workshop with arrival time after 3:00 pm on Sunday, July 28 and ending on Friday, August 2 at 10:30 am. See the full schedule below.
Location: Ghost Ranch Retreat and Education Center near Abiquiu, NM. (Nearest airports Albuquerque and Sante Fe.)
Continuing Ed: 12 EMDRIA Continuing Education (CE) credits are included in the tuition as are 20 CE credits for Texas LPC, LCSW and MFT. (20 CE credits are also be available through CE-Classes for those needing credits for licenses other than Texas; and is an option in the shopping cart to add CE-Classes credit for $30.00.) Partial EMDRIA credit cannot be given, however other credits will be based on sessions attended.
Payment Information: Early Bird Discount Rate for tuition is $545.00 prior to Wednesday, June 26, 2019. After June 26 the tuition is $745.00. Also, at that time, rooms reserved for the event will be released back to Ghost Ranch for use by other groups and the general public.
Room and Board: Information about room and board, including your room reservations, meals and payment is done directly with Ghost Ranch. Call (505) 685-4333 ext 4155 for Emily or ext 4156 for Gina and ask for the “CompassionWorks Mindfulness Training” or “EMDR Mindfulness Training” to find out more and to make your reservations. There are several different options available, single, double, dorms and cottages. (After June 26, rooms reserved for the event will be released back to Ghost Ranch for use by other groups and the general public.)
Travel Information: (map) Attendees can fly into Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ) or the Sante Fe Regional Airport. Sante Fe is closer to the ranch but flights may be more expensive with fewer options. Getting from the airport to the ranch is the challenge, unless you rent a car.
We have arranged to have a shuttle service do a group pick up with a departure from ABQ to Ghost Ranch at 1:00 pm Sunday and returning to ABQ on Friday with a scheduled arrival time at the airport to be 2:00 pm. (It’s suggested you leave an hour for your flight). The roundtrip charge for the van is $65.00 and can be added in the shopping cart at the time of registration.
The shuttle will also make a stop in Sante Fe, either at the airport (SAF) or The Sage Inn. Pickup time on Sunday will be 2:30 pm for your trip to Ghost Ranch. On Friday, the time for the drop-off at SAF will be about 11:30 or a little later. (Leave an hour for your flight). Cost for that will be $40.00 round trip.
This workshop offers mindfulness strategies to integrate to techniques from EMDR therapy and Body Awareness.
The mindfulness strategies can be effective when incorporated with strategies from EMDR therapy; this is especially beneficial for clients who need to increase their affect tolerance. Participants will learn about current research on mindfulness and EMDR therapy. Additionally, participants will learn about the hypothesized mechanism of action for EMDR and mindfulness.
Non-EMDR therapists and Mental Health Professionals will be given ways to use EMDR strategies without the use of bilateral (Eye-Movements) stimulation.
The format of this workshop is a retreat, this means participants will practice these strategies to self-attune. Come to be refreshed and to enhance your EMDR skills!
The meditations and non-EMDR portions of the workshop will be based on the book The Presence Process by Michael Brown and the ancient wisdom teachings of non-dual wisdom.
From the perspective of The Presence Process, when we’re able see that our ‘upsets’ are ‘setups’ to help us see that our lives are unfolding, not with what we ‘need or want’ but with what is ‘required,’ the more we’re able live in the moment.
The teaching segments will include a didactic presentation, guided connected breathing meditations and a sharing from ‘presence’ while staying in the moment.
Objectives: Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Strategize how to integrate EMDR Techniques, Body Awareness, and Mindfulness to help clients manage their affect in between sessions and increase distress tolerance
- Describe the current literature on mindfulness, EMDR, and neuroscience
- Apply and demonstrate EMDR therapy, body awareness, and mindfulness integration
- Summarize strategies implemented during lecture and practicum, and integrate phases of EMDR and mindfulness into practice
- Use teachings from The Presence Process in their own growth and development and in working with clients
Event Days and Times: Attendees will arrive on Sunday afternoon and evening in time for dinner (5:30 – 6:30) and for the Sunday evening meeting, which will be a welcoming-orientation and safe/calm place meditation.
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday will consist of teaching, discussion and practicing both mindfulness meditation and ways to incorporate EMDR type strategies with that. There will evening talks with a guided meditation followed by a sharing in presence.
Wednesday will be an open day for participants to spend time doing activities that are available on the ranch. These activities include horseback riding, hiking, swimming, or just relaxing.
The retreat will end on Friday morning at 10:30 am, after breakfast and a final meeting for departure.
|Day||Start||End||Function||Mindfulness||The Presence Process (TPP)|
|7:00 pm||8:00 pm||Jose & Jordan||Introductions, setting the agenda and meditation|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Safe/Calm Place - Butterfly Hug and/or group bi-lateral tones.|
|10:30am||12:00||Jose & Jordan||Mindfulness Check In||Intro to TPP and Connected Breathing|
|3:00pm||4:45pm||Jordan||The Pathway of Awareness|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Body Scan||I Choose to Respond|
|10:30am||12:00||Jose & Jordan||Body Scan||Counseling with Oneness - There are no others.|
|1:30pm||2:45pm||Jose||Medicine Wheel||Non-duality in practical terms|
|3:00pm||5:00pm||Jose & Jordan||Medicine Wheel||I recognize my reflections and projections|
|Wednesday||7:30am||8:30am||Breakfast||Living Mindfulness Group Activities|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Trauma, Mindfulness and Neuroscience|
|1:30pm||2:45pm||Jose||The Wheel of Awareness Practicum|
|3:00pm||5:00pm||Jordan & Jose||The Wheel of Awareness practicum||The Felt-Sense into Oneness|
|9:00 am||10:15 am||Jordan and Jose||Wrap-up and Closure|
|10:15 am||10:30 am||Break|
|10:30 am||12:00||Jordan and Jose|
|1:00 pm||Retreat Ends|
All grievances must be in writing to Jordan Shafer, and will be replied to within 5 – 10 business days.)This workshop is held in facilities which are in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact Jordan Shafer if special accommodation is required.)
Continuing Education Information:
12 EMDRIA Continuing Education (CE) credits are included in the tuition as are 20 CE credits for Texas LPC, LCSW and MFT. (20 CE credits are also be available through CE-Classes (Below) for those needing credits for licenses other than Texas. There is an option in the shopping cart to add CE-Classes credit for $30.00. Partial EMDRIA credit cannot be given, however other credits will be based on sessions attended.
These credits are for Psychologist and Counselors outside of Texas
20 CEs state licensure and 12 EMDRIA CEs are provided for:
“Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at ce-classes.com, entering a keycode, and completing an evaluation form.”
Statement to be used as a disclosure “Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.”
Ce-Classes.com is approved by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2020
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2019.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2019
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1941
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education
Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of
continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.