Dallas Event: Spring 2018
Special Offer: Sign up for both the “Clinical Strategies for EMDR” workshop with Esly Carvalho in The Woodlands, and the “Reconnecting the Self” workshop with Katie O’Shea in Plano and get a $200 Discount. Registration for both workshops.
Reconnecting the Self: Reprocessing Early Trauma & Neglect Held in Implicit Memory
Presenter: Katie O’Shea, MS, LCPC
Date: Friday and Saturday – March 23, 24
Location: Comfort Inn, Plano, TX
Continuing Ed: 14 CEs and 14 EMDRIA Credits
Tuition: Early Bird $375.00 until Friday, Mar 9, 2018, after which $425.00
This workshop is intended for mental health professionals who have completed an EMDRIA approved EMDR Therapist training in EMDR (both Part I and Part II) and the 10 hours of consultation.
Katie O’Shea, MS, LCPC, is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant, and a Trauma-Recovery/HAP Senior Facilitator. Having spent forty years treating all ages and almost all diagnoses, twenty-six with EMDR, she attempts to support each person’s healing potential in efficient, effective and empowering ways. Katie has identified “EMDR Friendly Preparation Methods” which allow clients to maximize their innate ability to unlearn what’s no longer useful and learn what is. She originated the Early Trauma Protocol for EMDR making it possible to fully reprocess experiences held in implicit memory by focusing on time periods rather than specific experiences. Katie has presented at European, Canadian and International EMDR Conferences since 1997.
- Identify challenges to applying EMDR to early developmental trauma as informed by neurobiological studies.
- Prepare the client for early trauma processing with client-friendly education and resources.
- Efficiently update innate affective resources without accessing disturbing material.
- Systematically target early disturbance held in implicit memory.
- Use “Imaginal Interweaves” to stimulate blocked processing and ensure reprocessing is complete.
About the Workshop
The challenges of using EMDR for early trauma and neglect are that 1) EMDR readily targets explicit memories, but early trauma is held in implicit memory in the right hemisphere and is not typically subject to direct recall. 2) Accessing the felt sense of early experience can be overwhelming if it includes the paucity of internal resources of a neglected baby. This workshop addresses both problems through careful preparation and systematic trauma reprocessing. The preparation includes A) containment, B) safe state, and C) resetting innate emotional resources, which appear to directly act upon primary process affective circuits to down-regulate the experience of emotional intensity. After the three Preparation steps, the method systematically reprocesses early trauma, in the absence of explicit memory. It targets consecutive time periods beginning before birth and installs positive experience. As a result, the client builds a foundation of a felt sense of attachment and belonging, with emergent positive cognitions, enabling the client to meet the next developmental milestone in sequence. The procedures were developed by Katie O’Shea as an outgrowth of experience with EMDR Therapy, including Sandra Paulsen’s work treating ego states with EMDR. The two have collaborated on these methods since 2006.
Event Days and Times:
DAY 1: Friday, March 23, 2018
09:00 Introductory Remarks
09:15 Challenges of Processing Early Trauma, Attachment, Affect Regulation & the Brain
10:45 Preparation Steps 1 – Containment and 2 – Safe State, Demo/Video
1:30 Preparation Step 3 – Resetting/Updating the Hardwired Affective Circuits
3:00 Step 3 Demo/Video, Q&A
3:45 Practicum Steps 1, 2, 3
5:00 Q&A, Consultation
DAY 2: Saturday, March 24, 2018
09:00 Temporal Integrationism, Somatic Awareness, Imagination, and the Brain,
10:00 Step 4 – Clearing Trauma By Time Frame – Targeting and Desensitization
11:15 Interweaves, Installation, Navigating, Demo/Video
01:30 Practicum Step 4 – Clearing Early Experience by Time Frame
05:15 Q&A, Final Comments
Early Bird $375.00 until Friday, March 9, 2018, after which $425.00
Cancellation/Refund: Your tuition is refundable less a processing fee of $75.00 up to 10 days prior to the workshop date. After 10 days prior, no credit is given.
All grievances must be in writing to Jordan Shafer, and will be replied to within 5 – 10 business days.)
This workshop is held in facilities which are in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact Jordan Shafer if special accommodation is required.)
Comfort Inn & Suites, East Plano
700 East Central Parkway
Plano, Texas 75074
14 Professional CE CREDITS & 14 EMDRIA CREDITS
(Attendance on both days is required to receive CE credit. Partial credit is not given.)
“Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at ce-classes.com, entering a keycode, and completing an evaluation form.”
“Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Ce-Classes.com is approved by:
- Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) CE-Classes.com, provider #1142, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2017-1/5/2020. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
- California BBS: Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant coursework/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
- The California Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (CAADAC) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2018
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2019.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2019.
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2018 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2018
- New York Social Work Board NYSED Provider #120
- This course is NOT APPROVED for NBCC