Training Schedule for 2022
EMDRIA Approved EMDR Therapist Training
Our training was developed by Jose Carbajal, PhD, LCSW and Jordan Shafer, MS, LPC to provide a full, complete and comprehensive EMDR training program that is either done online or in-person. The CompassionWorks’ training is approved by the EMDR International Association (EMDR) the governing body for EMDR in the United States and Canada.This training is for therapists who want to learn EMDR to incorporate it into their practice of psychotherapy.
This is a link to the eligibility requirements needed to attend the training. Basically, it is for Mental Health Professionals, including psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, professional counselors, graduate students in the field of mental health, and those who are completing their internships.
About the training
The training consists of two 3-day weekends and 10 hours of consultation, which is all included in the cost. Times are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm on the Fridays and Saturdays and 8:30 am to 4:00 pm on the Sundays. There will be 10 hours of video/phone consultation provided between and after Parts 1 & 2. Multiple days and times will be offered to choose from by participants for the consultation calls. Participants must attend all training days in entirety, plus all 10 consultation hours, to become a fully trained EMDR Therapist.
It’s important to consider that EMDR is:
- The most highly studied, evidence-based therapeutic approach for mental health treatment.
- Clinically supported by observable results by clients and therapists.
- At work below the level of the “thinking mind” with processing at the subcortical level.
- Supported by neuroscience.
- A way for clients to go “deeper, quicker” and stay longer through the completion of difficult issues.
This training is designed to give you the depth of understanding, practical experience, and the confidence you will need to use EMDR effectively with your clients. Even after the first weekend, you will be encouraged to use it with appropriate clients and begin preparing the others who are not ready.
EMDR gets at the source of maladaptive behaviors by providing sub-cortical resolution to free up stuck or frozen intrusive thoughts, emotions, and body sensations. This training is focused on teaching you the basics of EMDR and the most effective way to incorporate it into your practice.
All trainees will be asked to participate in practicum exercises as part of the training. You will be encouraged to work on personal issues that are appropriate for the training environment.
There will be demonstrations with individual attendees throughout the 6 days, and you are encouraged to consider being a volunteer. In addition, all participants will be paired to practice the newly learned material. This will be done in a safe, supportive environment, in which confidentially will be maintained.
>>>Upcoming trainings, dates, times and registration<<<
“Custom” trainings are also available.
- If you are an agency or group practice and you provide counseling services for people with symptoms from attachment disorder or trauma then, we can setup a custom training for your group. Contact Jordan.
Will I be EMDR Certified?
Program, Registration and Payment Information
The fee includes both weekends 1 & 2, and the 10 hours of group consultation.
Early Registration – Before the 14 days prior to the first weekend of the training.
$1495.00 Early Fully Licensed Registration
$1195.00 Intern/grad student, full-time nonprofit employee
Regular Registration – Paid after the 14 days prior to the start of the first weekend of the training.
$1645.00 Fully Licensed Registration
The following payment options are available:
- You can pay in full at the time of registration.
- You can pay 1/3 down and 1/3 monthly for the two months after registration. The payment plan incurs a 5% charge. (You will need to be paid-in-full to receive your certificate of completion.)
- You can mail a check.
- You can contact us directly if other options are needed.
You select the option at the end of the shopping cart just prior to payment.
Time Frame for Completion of Program
- This program is required to be completed within a two-year time frame beginning at the time of attendance of the first weekend. (Completion involves attending Weekends 1 and 2 and the 10 hours of consultation.)
Documentation Requirements to attend the training.
Please email CompassionWorks or otherwise submit documentation from one of the following options:
- Documentation that shows your standing as a mental health professional, have a master’s degree (or doctorate) in a mental health related field (Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, etc.) and are licensed to practice as a mental health professional by your state board. Full eligibility requirements.
- If you have a graduate degree in the mental health field but are not yet licensed to practice, please document that you are working towards state licensure and under a licensed supervisor. (A copy of your intern license and letter from your supervisor will suffice.)
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, please submit transcripts (unofficial) that show you have completed your core coursework and a letter from your licensed supervisor in the internship/practicum setting.
- First-year graduate students are not eligible.
Policy for Changing 2nd Weekend
- The charge for changing or missing (more than 3 hours of) the second weekend after registration and attending a different one is $375.00. Certain circumstances may have the fee waived.
Policy for Missing Training Hours
- The charge for rescheduling to make up any missed portion of the training over 20 minutes is billed at $125 per missed hour with a minimum charge of one hour. This may not apply to computer or internet malfunction if it is quickly followed with a phone call and/or resolution.
- Any missed portion of the training over 20 minutes must be approved in advance and approval may not be possible depending on time and day of the training.
Policy for Making Up a Consultation Group
- The charge for making up a group after the second weekend has been completed is $50.00 per group hour or $100 per individual hour.
- If cancellation is more than 14 days prior to the training start date then full refund of amount paid minus the $75 admin fee.
- If cancellation is between 4-14 days before the training start date then no refund is given but we can apply the amount paid minus $75 fee to another training.
- If cancellation is 3 days or less prior to the training start date then no refund is given but we can apply the amount minus $400 fee to another training.
EMDR International Association Approved Training.
This is the complete EMDR Therapist Training approved by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA), formerly known as Level I and Level II, including an additional 10 hours of consultation. Participants will learn the EMDR psychotherapy approach, the basic eight-phase EMDR protocol, the Adaptive Information Processing Model, and how to incorporate EMDR into your practice. This course will consist of didactic presentations, demonstrations, supervised practicum, and case consultations. Group size is intended to be small, and is limited to less than 20 participants.
Participants must attend the full training and five 2-hour consultation groups to receive a certificate of completion in EMDR Basic Training. Approval of partial programs cannot be granted.
Continuing Education Information
The EMDR Therapist Training offers 40 hours of continuing education upon completion of the program, including 40 hours of instruction and 10 hours of consultation. Partial credit is not given, as per the requirements of EMDRIA and the participating Texas boards.
CompassionWorks offers Texas LPC, Texas MFT, and Texas Social Workers (LMSW & LCSW) credits.
Required reading: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic principles, protocols, and procedures, third edition, by Francine Shapiro, Ph.D., EMDR originator, and is not included in course materials and tuition.
Recommended Reading Schedule:
- Day 1 Chapters 1 & 2 (p. 1 – 52)
- Day 2 Chapter 3 (p. 5 3– 84)
- Between Day 3 & 4 Chapters 4-8 (p. 85 – 212)
- Day 4 Chapter 9 (p. 213 – 255)
- Day 5 Chapter 10 (p. 256 – 282)
- Day 6 Chapter 11 & 12 (p. 283 – 428)
This EMDR Therapist Training program meets the strict curriculum guidelines and hourly requirements set by EMDRIA, the EMDR International Association. Therefore, this training consists of an instructional component of twenty (20) hours, a supervised practicum component of twenty (20) hours, and a consultation component of ten (10) hours. In total, this consists of 50 hours; broken into Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (20 hrs) on one weekend, 10 hrs (five 2 hour sessions) of group consultation in-between, followed by Friday, Saturday, Sunday (20 hrs) in a subsequent weekend. Most weekend schedules will be as follows:
- Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Saturday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Sunday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
The 2-hour Consultation schedule is listed with the workshops.
Upcoming trainings, dates, times and registration