Mindfulness Retreat: “Being Your Self as Awareness” – Integrating Strategies from EMDR, Body Awareness and The Presence Process
Sunday, May 31 – Friday, June 5, 2020
This is a retreat for licensed mental health professionals on using mindfulness in their clinical practice. While this retreat is open to all therapists, we will be using and teaching techniques from Eye-movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to help enhance the process. Non-EMDR trained therapists won’t be learning how to use eye-movements but will be taught ancillary techniques to use with others and on themselves.
The registration process is as follows:
- Register with CompassionWork.s to pay your tuition and reserve your spot. At that time you can indicate if you want a single occupancy, or double occupancy with your own roommate, or double occupancy with another attendee.
- After you have registered with us, we will put you in touch with Shannon Baker, our Event Coordinator at Ghost Ranch, to complete your room request and meal plan.
Location: Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, NM map
Dates: Sunday, May 31 – Friday, Jun 5, 2020
Presenters: Jose Carbajal, Ph.D., LCSW; & Jordan Shafer, MC, LPC
Jose is a licensed clinical social worker. He served in the U.S. Army; after his military service, Jose attended Baylor University, where he received his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in social work, and a master’s degree in theological studies. He completed his Ph.D. in Social Work at the University of Texas at Arlington. Jose has several publications, and he has conducted many professional presentations and workshops. Jose’s research focus is on the interventions clinicians use to treat trauma, neuroscience and social work practice, faith, and trauma, and social disparity. Jose has over 10 years of clinical experience; his clinical specialties are trauma, sexual abuse recovery, domestic violence, substance abuse, and interpersonal relationship issues. Dr. Carbajal is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant.
Jordan is a licensed professional counselor and EMDR Trainer and Consultant.
Mr. Shafer is a student of Advaita Vedanta in the lineage of Ramana Maharshi. Jordan has hosted workshops for Michael Brown, author of The Presence Process, Pamela Wilson, and Kim Eng. He has also attended several workshops with teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, John Welwood, and Pamela Wilson where he studied Advaita, presence and mindful awareness. Mr. Shafer is an EMDR Trainer and Consultant.
Intended Audience: The retreat is for all Mental Health Professionals (EMDR trained and non-EMDR trained) who want to learn about Mindfulness, EMDR and Body Awareness and to use it with their clients in their clinical practice. You do not need to be trained in EMDR to attend this workshop but you will come away from it knowing more about it – when to refer clients, how to use it in your own experience or possibly decide to become an EMDR trained therapist, yourself.
Non-workshop attending partners: Partners of registered workshop attendees are encouraged to attend the retreat, as well. They will be welcome to join in the meals, meditations and on all group activities.
Days and Times: This is a week long workshop with arrival time between 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm (dinner is 5:30 to 6:30) on Sunday, May 31, and ending on Friday, June 5th, after lunch at 1:00 pm. See the full schedule below.
Location: Ghost Ranch Retreat and Education Center near Abiquiu, NM. (Nearest airports Albuquerque and Sante Fe.)
Continuing Ed: 20 CE credits for Texas LPC, LCSW and MFT, which includes 12 EMDRIA for Texas LPC, LCSW & MFT. 20 CE credits are also available through CE-Classes for those needing credits for licenses other than Texas; and is an option in the shopping cart to add CE-Classes credit for $30.00.) Partial credit is not given.
Payment Information: Early Bird Discount Rate for tuition of $545.00 is good through April 30, 2020, after which the tuition is $595.00.
Room and Board: After you have registered with us, we will put you in touch with our Event Coordinator at Ghost Ranch to complete your room request and meal plan.
Room cost: $755 – for five nights. The cost is per room, so a couple reserving a room would have the same cost as an individual. If you want a roommate to split room expense, let us know and we’ll try to arrange that. If, however, a roommate doesn’t appear then you would be responsible for the Individual room cost.
Meals: $180.00 for the week. 15 meals, Sunday evening through Friday lunch. The food is good to very good “camp” food – natural and healthy.
Conservation fee of $5.00 per person for the week.
|Total - Tuition + 5 nights + 15 meals||Until April 30, 2020||After April 30, 2020|
|Total cost for the retreat less travel||$1505||$1555|
Travel Information: (map) Attendees can fly into Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ) or the Sante Fe Regional Airport. Sante Fe is closer to the ranch but flights may be more expensive with fewer options. Options for getting to-and-from the airport to the ranch are either to rent a car or use our ride share option.
We will arrange a ride sharing option for those who do not want to rent a car. Plan your arrival at ABQ to be prior to 1 pm as departure from ABQ to Ghost Ranch will be at 1:00 pm Sunday. The return to ABQ will be on Friday with a scheduled arrival time at the airport to be 4:00 pm. (It’s suggested you leave an hour for your flight). The roundtrip charge for the ride share is $65.00 and can be added in the shopping cart at the time of registration.
This workshop offers mindfulness strategies to integrate techniques from EMDR therapy and Body Awareness.
The mindfulness strategies can be effective when incorporated with strategies from EMDR therapy; this is especially beneficial for clients who need to increase their affect tolerance. Participants will learn about current research on mindfulness and EMDR therapy. Additionally, participants will learn about the hypothesized mechanism of action for EMDR and mindfulness.
Non-EMDR therapists and Mental Health Professionals will be given ways to use EMDR strategies without the use of bilateral (Eye-Movements) stimulation.
The format of this workshop is a retreat, this means participants will practice these strategies to self-attune. Come to be refreshed and to enhance your EMDR skills!
The meditations and non-EMDR portions of the workshop will be based on the book The Presence Process by Michael Brown and the ancient wisdom teachings of non-dual wisdom.
From the perspective of The Presence Process, when we’re able see that our ‘upsets’ are ‘setups’ to help us see that our lives are unfolding, not with what we ‘need or want’ but with what is ‘required,’ the more we are able live in the moment.
The teaching segments will include a didactic presentation, guided connected breathing meditations and a sharing from ‘presence’ while staying in the moment.
Objectives: Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Strategize how to integrate EMDR Techniques, Body Awareness, and Mindfulness to help clients manage their affect in between sessions and increase distress tolerance
- Describe the current literature on mindfulness, EMDR, and neuroscience
- Apply and demonstrate EMDR therapy, body awareness, and mindfulness integration
- Summarize strategies implemented during lecture and practicum, and integrate phases of EMDR and mindfulness into practice
- Use teachings from The Presence Process in their own growth and development and in working with clients
Event Days and Times: Attendees will arrive on Sunday afternoon and evening in time for dinner (5:30 – 6:30) and for the Sunday evening meeting, which will be a welcoming-orientation and meditation.
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday will consist of teaching, discussion and practicing both mindfulness meditation and ways to incorporate EMDR type strategies with that.
Wednesday will be an open day for participants to spend time doing activities that are available on the ranch. These activities include horseback riding, hiking, swimming, or just relaxing.
The retreat will end on Friday after lunch, at 1:00 pm.
|Day||Start||End||Function||Mindfulness||The Presence Process (TPP)|
|7:00 pm||8:00 pm||Jose & Jordan||Introductions, setting the agenda and meditation|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Safe/Calm Place - Butterfly Hug and/or group bi-lateral tones.|
|10:30am||12:00||Jose & Jordan||Mindfulness Check In||Intro to TPP and Connected Breathing|
|3:00pm||4:45pm||Jordan||The Pathway of Awareness|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Body Scan||I Choose to Respond|
|10:30am||12:00||Jose & Jordan||Body Scan||Counseling with Oneness - There are no others.|
|1:30pm||2:45pm||Jose||Medicine Wheel||Non-duality in practical terms|
|3:00pm||5:00pm||Jose & Jordan||Medicine Wheel||I recognize my reflections and projections|
|Wednesday||7:30am||8:30am||Breakfast||Living Mindfulness Group Activities|
|9:00am||10:15am||Jose||Trauma, Mindfulness and Neuroscience|
|1:30pm||2:45pm||Jose||The Wheel of Awareness Practicum|
|3:00pm||5:00pm||Jordan & Jose||The Wheel of Awareness practicum||The Felt-Sense into Oneness|
|9:00 am||10:15 am||Jordan and Jose||Wrap-up and Closure|
|10:15 am||10:30 am||Break|
|10:30 am||12:00||Jordan and Jose|
|1:00 pm||Retreat Ends|
All grievances must be in writing to Jordan Shafer, and will be replied to within 5 – 10 business days. This workshop is held in facilities which are in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact Jordan Shafer if special accommodation is required.
Continuing Education Information:
20 continuing educations are earned which includes 12 EMDRIA credits for Texas LPC, LCSW and MFT.
For those needing credits other than Texas, 20 CE credits are also be available through CE-Classes. There is an option in the shopping cart to add CE-Classes credit for $50.00. Partial credit is not given.
CE Classes is the provider of (CEs).
These credits are for Psychologists and Counselors outside of Texas
20 CEs state licensure, including 12 EMDRIA CEs are provided for:
“Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at ce-classes.com, entering a keycode, and completing an evaluation form.”
“Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approva
CE-Classes is approved by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) CE-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 02-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2020
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com<http://CE-Classes.com> is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.